Social Justice Terminology Guides
- A Progressive’s Style Guide
- Lewis and Clark College: ABC’s of Social Justice
- MSU LBGT Resource Center: LGBTQ Glossary
- Racial Equity Resource Guide
- Suffolk University Boston: Social Justice Terminology
- President's Advisory Committee on Disability Issues
- Accessible Meeting and Event Checklist from Cornell University
- Accessibility (from MSU OEI)
Other MSU links
- James Madison College Racial Climate Committee Report
- MSU Extension articles on Microaggressions and Levels of Oppression
- To My Professor: Student Voices for Great College Teaching, book by MSU School of Journalism students and editor Joe Grimm, College of Communication Arts and Sciences.
Inclusive Language for Course Syllabi
- Diversity & Inclusion Syllabus Statements from Brown University
- Diversity Statement Suggestions from Yale University
- Inclusive Language for Course Syllabi from MSU CDC (under Diversity and Equity Training)
- Preferred pronouns for syllabi and in class from Lake Forest
Other Sites and Resources
- AAC&U Cultural Competency Resources - Teaching to Increase Diversity and Equity in STEM (TIDES):
- Project Implicit (Implicit Bias Testing)
- The Toolkit for Inclusive Learning Environments (John Hopkins)
- UCSF Office of Diversity & Outreach Unconscious Bias
- The Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CIRTL Network)
- "Toward Inclusive STEM Classrooms: What Personal Role Do Faculty Play?", T. L. Killpack, L. C. Melón, CBE Life Sci Educ, 2016, 15(3): es3.
- "Is Everyone Really Equal?: An Introduction to KeyConcepts in Social Justice Education", Ö. Sensoy, R. J. DiAngelo (2012). .New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
Psychological Interventions, Growth Mindset, and Stereotype Threat
- "Psychological insights for improved physics teaching", L. Aguilar, G. Walton, C. Wieman, Physics Today 2014, 67(5): 43.
- "Mindsets and math/science achievement", The Opportunity Equation. Transforming Mathematics and Science Education for Citizenship and the Global Economy, C. S. Dweck, 2008, Prepared for Carnegie Corporation of New York, Institute for Advanced Study, Commission on Mathematics and Science Education.
- "Thin Ice: Stereotype Threat and Black College Students", C. M. Steele, Atlantic Monthly, August 1999.
- "A brief social-belonging intervention improves academic and health outcomes of minority students", G. M. Walton; G. L. Cohen, Science 2011, 331(6023): 1447-1451.
- "A question of belonging: Race, social fit, and achievement", G. M. Walton; G. L. Cohen, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2007, 92, 82–96.
- "Two Brief Interventions to Mitigate a “Chilly Climate” Transform Women’s Experience, Relationships, and Achievement in Engineering", G. M. Walton, C. Logel, J. M. Peach, S. J. Spencer, M. P. Zanna, Journal of Educational Psychology 2015, 107(2) 468–485.
Humanities in STEM
- "Education: Embed social awareness in science curricula", E. A. Cech, Nature 2014, 505: 477–478.
- "Exploring Perceptions of Social Responsibility in Engineering Students", A. Jahr, Honors Baccalaureate of Science in Bioengineering, Oregon State University, March 3 2016
- "Why STEM Majors Need the Humanities", N. Koblitz, Chronicle of Higher Education, January 6 2017.
- Tatum, B. D. Defining Racism, Excerpt from "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations About Race" Beverly Daniel Tatum
Racism in STEM
- "Textbook Racism; How scholars sustained white supremacy", by Donald Yacovone, from The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 8 2018
- "No College is Safe from Racist Incidents", Special Report from the Chronicle of Higher Education, April 18 2018
- "Experience of Black Doctoral Students Underscores Need to Increase Diversity in STEM Fields", by Iowa State University, from Phys.Org, April 10 2018
- "Taking Race Out of Human Genetics", M. Yudell, D. Roberts, R. DeSalle, S. Tishkoff, Science 2016, 351(6273), 564-565
Racism on campus
- "Hate Crimes Won't End Until Toxic "Bro" Culture is Reformed", L. Essig, The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 8 2018.
Sexism on Campus
- "The Awakening", Women and Power in the Academy, The Chronicle of Higher Education
- "Yes, You have Implicit Biases, Too", D. Gooblar, The Chronicle of Higher Education, November 20 2017.
How allies can dismantle institutional racism
- "Dismantling Whiteness in Academe, how to begin to dismantle the workings of whiteness and redistribute power dynamics in academe, S. Vidal-Ortiz, Inside Higher Education, April 13 2018
How allies might respond to microaggressions
- "Allies and Microaggressions", K. A. Rockquemore, Inside Higher Education, April 13 2016
Increasing Diversity on campus
- "Please Focus More on Inclusion so that Diversity Recruitment Efforts Can Work", Small Pond Science 2018
Social issues in the classroom
- "Civic-Centered Chemistry and Biochemistry", C. Maquire; N. Mirsaleh-Kohan; R. D. Sheardy, AACU 2017, 19(4)
- “Gender Gap in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM): Current Knowledge, Implications for Practice, Policy, and Future Directions”, M. T. Wang, J. L. Degol, Educational Psychology Review 2017, 29(1), 119-140.
- “We Are All for Diversity, but...”: How Faculty Hiring Committees Reproduce Whiteness and Practical Suggestions for How They Can Change; O. Sensoy, R. Diangelo, Harvard Educational Review 2017.
No matching content found.