Understanding the Recent Protests for Black Lives (resources from MSU College of Education and MSU Dialogues)
- Context of Minneapolis Uprising
- James Baldwin, "Looter to who?"
- The history behind the racist phrase 'When the looting starts, the shooting starts'
- What MLK really thought about "riots"
- How the U.S. Got Its Police Force
- A Decade Of Watching Black People Die
- Violence in Minneapolis is rooted in the history of racist policing in America
Social Justice Terminology Guides
- A Progressive’s Style Guide
- Lewis and Clark College: ABC’s of Social Justice
- MSU LBGT Resource Center: LGBTQ Glossary
- Racial Equity Resource Guide
- Suffolk University Boston: Social Justice Terminology
- Racial Equity Tools - offers tools, research, tips, curricula and ideas for people who want to increase their own understanding and to help those working toward justice at every level – in systems, organizations, communities and the culture at large
- Scaffolded Anti-Racism Resources list (created by A. Stamborski, N. Zimmermann, and B. Gregory). Links some of the Anti-Racism Resources (created by S. S. Flicker and A. Klein) with Janet E. Helms’ stages of white identity development
- Critical Racial and Social Justice Education from Robin DiAngelo
- Unlearning Racism/Learning Antiracism Book List
- Culturally Responsive Leadership
- The Characteristics of White Supremacy Culture, K. Jones and T. Okun, 2001
- Robin DiAngelo: How 'white fragility' supports racism and how whites can stop it, S. LaMotte, CNN Health, June 7, 2020
Burdens of BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) Faculty and Students
- An open letter of love to black students: #BlackLivesMatter [Blog post] – from MSU faculty to students, blackspaceblog, Dec. 2014, Dec. 8).
- Cognitive Reserve and Racial Privilege in STEM, Mélise Edwards, Blog, May 10, 2020
- What Is Faculty Diversity Worth to a University? - The “invisible labor” done by professors of color is not usually rewarded with tenure and promotion, P. Matthew, The Atlantic, Nov. 23, 2016
- The Invisible Labor of Minority Professors, A. W. June, Chronicle of Higher Education, Nov. 13, 2015 (log into MSU Library account to access)
- President's Advisory Committee on Disability Issues
- Accessible Meeting and Event Checklist from Cornell University
- Accessibility (from MSU OEI)
Inclusive Language for Course Syllabi
- Diversity & Inclusion Syllabus Statements from Brown University
- Diversity Statement Suggestions from Yale University
- Inclusive Language for Course Syllabi from MSU CDC (under Diversity and Equity Training)
- Pronoun use for syllabi and in class from Lake Forest
- The Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CIRTL Network)
- Charting a Course for Success: America's Strategy for STEM Education
- Currents – Connecting Diversity Scholarship to Practice and Society
- Incorporating anti-racist pedagogy
- White Racial Identity and Anti-Racist Education: A Catalyst for Change, Sandra M. Lawrence and Beverly Daniel Tatum
Humanities in STEM
- "Education: Embed social awareness in science curricula", E. A. Cech, Nature 2014, 505: 477–478.
- "Exploring Perceptions of Social Responsibility in Engineering Students", A. Jahr, Honors Baccalaureate of Science in Bioengineering, Oregon State University, March 3 2016
- "Why STEM Majors Need the Humanities", N. Koblitz, Chronicle of Higher Education, January 6 2017.
- Deconstructing White Privilege: Robin DiAngelo
- The Urgency of Intersectionality: TED Talk by Kimberlé Crenshaw
- Being Nice is Not Going to End Racism: : Robin DiAngelo
- The Unequal Opportunity Race: African American Policy Forum (graphics and animation by Erica Pinto)
- How To Tell Someone They Sound Racist: Jay Smooth
- Are you racist? 'No' isn't a good enough answer: Marlon James
- Tatum, B. D. Defining Racism, Excerpt from "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations About Race" Beverly Daniel Tatum
- Understanding Oppression and “isms” as a system - Dionardo Pizaña, MSU Extension
Racism in STEM
- "Textbook Racism" How scholars sustained white supremacy", by Donald Yacovone, from The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 8 2018
- "No College is Safe from Racist Incidents", Special Report from the Chronicle of Higher Education, April 18 2018
- "Experience of Black Doctoral Students Underscores Need to Increase Diversity in STEM Fields", by Iowa State University, from Phys.Org, April 10 2018
- "Taking Race Out of Human Genetics", M. Yudell, D. Roberts, R. DeSalle, S. Tishkoff, Science 2016, 351(6273), 564-565
Racism on campus
- "Hate Crimes Won't End Until Toxic "Bro" Culture is Reformed", L. Essig, The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 8 2018.
- "The Awakening", Women and Power in the Academy, The Chronicle of Higher Education
- UNESCO: Gender Equality: Heritage and Creativity
- UNESCO: Cracking the Code: Girl's and Women's Education in STEM
Implicit and Unconscious Bias
- Project Implicit (Implicit Bias Testing)
- "Yes, You have Implicit Biases, Too", D. Gooblar, The Chronicle of Higher Education, November 20 2017.
- UCSF Office of Diversity & Outreach Unconscious Bias
- "Allies and Microaggressions", K. A. Rockquemore, Inside Higher Education, April 13 2016
- Making micraggressions visible is key to addressing the impacts - Karen Pace
- Micro-aggressions are linked to stress for people of color, women and those who are gay and lesbian - Karen Pace
Dismantling Whiteness in Academia
- White Academia: Do Better, J. Roberts, The Faculty, June 8, 2020
- Higher Ed’s Toothless Response to the Killing of George Floyd, J. England and R. Purcell, Chronicle of Higher Education, June 08, 2020 (log into MSU Library account to access)
- Please Focus More on Inclusion so that Diversity Recruitment Efforts Can Work", Small Pond Science 2018
- Dismantling Whiteness in Academe - watered-down academic diversity is a reminder of how whiteness structures our interactions in higher education, S. Vidal-Ortiz, Inside Higher Education, November 10, 2017
- Dismantling Whiteness in Academe: Part 2, how to begin to dismantle the workings of whiteness and redistribute power dynamics in academe, S. Vidal-Ortiz, Inside Higher Education, April 13, 2018
Inclusion in STEM
- Campus Climate and STEM Success
- Lab heads should learn to talk about racism
- To learn inclusion skills, make it personal, David Asai, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Project Biodiversify - tools for promoting diversity and inclusion in biology courses
- How Black Students Tend to Learn Science
- Toolkit for “Just Science” – guiding questions to explore the intersection of ethics, social justice and science
- "Civic-Centered Chemistry and Biochemistry", C. Maquire; N. Mirsaleh-Kohan; R. D. Sheardy, AACU 2017, 19(4)
- "Toward Inclusive STEM Classrooms: What Personal Role Do Faculty Play?", T. L. Killpack, L. C. Melón, CBE Life Sci Educ, 2016, 15(3): es3.
- AAC&U Cultural Competency Resources - Teaching to Increase Diversity and Equity in STEM (TIDES):
- “Gender Gap in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM): Current Knowledge, Implications for Practice, Policy, and Future Directions”, M. T. Wang, J. L. Degol, Educational Psychology Review 2017, 29(1), 119-140.
- “We Are All for Diversity, but...”: How Faculty Hiring Committees Reproduce Whiteness and Practical Suggestions for How They Can Change; O. Sensoy, R. Diangelo, Harvard Educational Review 2017.
Psychological Interventions, Growth Mindset, and Stereotype Threat
- "Psychological insights for improved physics teaching", L. Aguilar, G. Walton, C. Wieman, Physics Today 2014, 67(5): 43.
- "Mindsets and math/science achievement", The Opportunity Equation. Transforming Mathematics and Science Education for Citizenship and the Global Economy, C. S. Dweck, 2008, Prepared for Carnegie Corporation of New York, Institute for Advanced Study, Commission on Mathematics and Science Education.
- "Thin Ice: Stereotype Threat and Black College Students", C. M. Steele, Atlantic Monthly, August 1999.
- "A brief social-belonging intervention improves academic and health outcomes of minority students", G. M. Walton; G. L. Cohen, Science 2011, 331(6023): 1447-1451.
- "A question of belonging: Race, social fit, and achievement", G. M. Walton; G. L. Cohen, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2007, 92, 82–96.
- "Two Brief Interventions to Mitigate a “Chilly Climate” Transform Women’s Experience, Relationships, and Achievement in Engineering", G. M. Walton, C. Logel, J. M. Peach, S. J. Spencer, M. P. Zanna, Journal of Educational Psychology 2015, 107(2) 468–485.
No matching content found.